vintage chalk slate

vintage chalk slate

Friday, January 27, 2012

Mirror, Mirror, on the Wall...

Earlier this week in our fourth grade classroom, we conducted a successful math lesson utilizing iPad technology in conjunction with existing interactive whiteboard and projection equipment already in place in the classroom. The objective of the lesson was to familiarize students with the iPad, while building essential mastery of basic multiplication facts and concepts. The lesson also served as an introduction to video mirroring, in which a digital AV or VGA adapter is used to mirror exactly what you see on your iPad on a larger screen, such as a SMART Board or eno interactive whiteboard. While there are some technological limitations (not all iPads and applications support full mirroring), video mirroring can be a very effective way of sharing iPad content in the classroom.

For this lesson, an iPad "station" was set up facing the front of the classroom. We used My Math Flash Card App for the lesson. Working together, the children attempted to solve multiplication problems as quickly as possible, beginning with basic facts and moving on to more complex problems. Paper and pencil were available for those students who needed to write out or double-check problems. During this problem-solving activity, the iPad screen was mirrored on the much larger eno board in the front of the room for all the class to see.



During the lesson, students were engaged and motivated. Working together and as individuals, they were able to improve on their results with each successive multiplication challenge. Several students who have previously struggled with basic multiplication facts were eager to participate and did not exhibit the anxiety or frustration that sometimes accompanies similar tasks. The app we used is relatively easy to use and engaging. The graphics are simple and the colors are basic; the children were able to navigate the app with minimal teacher assistance. However, it is important to note that one member of the collegial circle feels that the design of this app is flawed, as the input of two-digit products and sums in regard to place-value position requires calculations to be performed mentally.

We believe this lesson was a success and look forward to designing future lessons that combine various forms of technology while addressing common core standards and grade-level curriculum. Although there are certain technological limitations and issues to consider, combining interactive iPad technology with video mirroring can help teachers design successful lessons that motivate and engage a wide range of students.


22 comments:

Paige said...

Using the iPad was a great way to learn subjects in a fun way. My classmates and I had a lot of fun while working.

Marissa said...

I think it was cool that we used the iPad for math. I also liked that we all worked together to use it!!!

J.P. said...

I love iPads because they help me learn. The iPad is the best!

Chase said...

I loved using the iPad because it helped me get better at multiplication. The iPad is way better than pencil and paper.

Thomas said...

I had a great time using the iPad. That was a great experience.

Ryan K said...

I think using the iPad is fun. It helped me learn my multiplication facts. I also liked how everybody worked together.

James said...

I think the iPad is a great way for kids around the world to learn in a fun way.I think it rocks!

Julia said...

I saw My Math App as fun, not work. It was like the Muzzy for Kids DVDs. I tink of it as a fun way to learn math.

Aidan said...

I had a fun time working with the iPad. I hope we work with it again.

Lilly said...

I loved the iPad.It was so much fun because it was timed. I hope we do it again.

RJ said...

It is fun to practice math on the iPad. You can learn a lot of math facts using the app. It is good for anyone to learn math.

Peter said...

It was fun privilege to use the iPad. I really enjoyed it.

Ryan P said...

The iPad is an interesting and fun way to do math. I wonder if we will use the iPad for science. I bet it would be fun!

Bailey said...

I think the iPad is a great way to learn with today's technology.

Alex K. said...

I like the iPad because it is a fun way to learn and to help us practice our math skills.

Alex P. said...

Using iPads is better and faster than paper and pencil.I think the iPad is similar to the iPod Touch.

Carolyn said...

I think the app on the iPad is a great way to learn multiplication, division,addition,and subtraction. I also think it is easier than writing!

Paul said...

I think using the iPad is really fun. Some of the hard questions helped me learn my facts. I hope we use the iPad again!

Marykate said...

I had a fun experience using the iPad for math. I love doing math especially on the iPad.

Kaitlin said...

It was exciting using the iPad at school. It made learning a lot of fun!

Matthew said...

I think the iPad was a lot of fun. It was really cool when Mr.Schultz hooked it up to the eno board. It was a great experience.

Liliana said...

I enjoyed using the new technology of the iPad. It is fun and more exciting to use than paper and a pencil. It was very kind of Mr.Schultz to let us do it as a class instead of by ourselves. We learned how to be fair and not to make anyone feel bad if they got the answer wrong.